Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Too Many Hats

Mother, friend, spouse, employee, manager, chef, taxi driver, counselor, maid, partner, sister, daughter, mediator. These are just a few of the hats that women have to wear and it makes me wonder how they do it. Is it possible to wear these hats and to actually fit in all of them or do we attempt to put them on, only to have them slide down over our eyes, making it impossible to move forward? This is somewhat a rhetorical question because I don't think anyone truly has the answer. We attempt to wear multiple hats at the same time but often find it impossible or at least feel that one hat is bigger than all the others therefore becoming our dominant guide for the moment. No matter how hard we try to fill each of these roles, I can't help but feel that there are too many which leads us to perform a half-assed job. As females, I think we look around at other women and assume that they are doing a great job at filling their hats which leads us to compare and unfortunately not meet up to our internal standards. Do other people place these hats on our heads and do they judge us on our ability to perform the expected duties? Again, a rhetorical question. Maybe nobody sees these hats but us. Other people may just look at us and see a woman. Sometimes I feel like taking all these hats, throwing them into the air, screaming like a banshee and running to hills before anyone can catch me. Unfortunately I think if it wasn't hats we were trying to fill, it would be shoes.

3 comments:

The Staheli's said...

I'm with you...lets chuck the hats!!! Shoes are cuter anyway! :P

Holly said...

No more hats or shoes! THATS IT!

Austin Family said...

OK, so I didn't know that you could write so well either. I love that I keep learning about who you are and I just loved this post. I know it is hard to do sometimes, but lets all try harder not to compare ourselves to anyone else. We are all unique and beautiful and strong women. Let's just enjoy each others differences.
Kimmy