Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Teenage Girls: What's Wrong With Them?

Remember the old saying, "Sugar and spice and everything nice, that's what little girls are made of"? I can't help but think that whoever came up with that, never had teenage girls. It's like a crazy transformation takes place between the ages of 10-13where the balance of "sugar and spice" is completely out of whack. The spice takes over and can sometimes leave a pretty bitter taste in your mouth. I know I caused my parents a lot of grief as a pre-pubescent young girl (as well as a full blown teenager) but was I really that bad? I remember crying, yelling, calling names, swearing, slamming doors, playing my music really loud etc., but I also remember feeling bad about those things a lot of the time.
As a mom I try to be understanding and even empathetic to what my daughter is going through but often find myself wanting to pull my hair out (cuz if I pulled hers out it could be considered abuse). Its hard to be patient and to see past the cloud of whirling anger and frustration that surrounds her most of the time, especially when it catches you so off guard. The sun can be shining with not a cloud in the sky but in the blink of an eye a tropical storm with overpowering winds and torrential rain is upon you. Like in any storm of that magnitude the first line of defense is to run for cover, board up your windows and hide in the cellar. Not often is the first response to be a storm chaser driving head on into the path of destruction; seeing each new storm as an exciting event and a learning opportunity. They don't run in fear they jump with enthusiasm at the experience that lies ahead of them. Crazy fools.
The storms will pass (eventually) and the balance of "sugar and spice" will once again be more evenly represented but in the mean time.........

11 comments:

Amy said...

I have NO advice for you but I just have to say that Monika is such a sweet girl. Hang in there! It will pass.

White said...

It works. Love you

Austin Family said...

First of all, you write very well. I enjoyed the comparisons and can only say, I am sure this storm will pass. I can say that only because number one, I was that teenager myself and I think I turned out ok! And secondly, Monika's core soul is truly sweet. In the meantime, breathe deeply and know that you are doing the best that you can do, trust your maternal instinct, and tell her how much you love her everyday!

Tiffany Johnson said...

oh man... I'm NOT looking forward to those days! I just realized i will have two girls going through it at the same time! AAAAAHHH!

The Staheli's said...

Ya...not sure what to say, except good luck! What's wrong with them??? HORMONES! All kinds of crazy ones! :P

Holly said...

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.... Its about learning to dance in the rain.

Saw this on a picture in a friends bathroom.

Anonymous said...

I have to say I love Monika!!! She is always an angel when she comes here. Tyson on the other hand is the soon to be teenager I would love to strangle. Can they not just skip the teenager years??? Best of luck with yours!!!

Shan said...

Hahahaha!!! I have no advice. I'd offer a trade but I kinda like Alaina. She's a sweetheart - most of the time.

Amy said...

My blog is going private. Comment on my blog with your email address so I can add you to the list.

Thanks!

The Rockin' Middletons said...

just be glad they are not me as a teenager. Try earth on fire not just a storm!

Tonna said...

Just be glad that she hit the stage early because the more trouble she can get into now and get it out of her system, the more hope there is that she will get over it fast..before she gets old enough that the consequences will actually follow her into her adult life i.e. >18years. My first year of college, I watched my roommate lose her scholarship and life to boys and partying because this was her first experience in the "real world." The teenage years are irritating because everyone expects adult behavior but still treats you like your a minor!! At this point you have no life experiences and you want to believe what every adult is telling you, but sometimes faith is not enough to go on. You need to screw up on your own to fully understand what they meant when they said, "You'll Be Sorry." My advice- Continue to be who YOU are and remember time changes everything. When she finally stops to think about what she needs to do to be happy, she'll revert to what she has been taught her entire life. We all did....