Monday, January 12, 2009

Wednesday = Family Night = ?

This past Wednesday night, Brett and I decided to implement "Family Night". Several months ago we had game night on Thursdays but had really slacked off so I decided it was time to spend more time together. Our nights have turned pretty predictable, consisting of eating dinner and the kids disappearing to their rooms or onto the computer to chat with friends. I feel like there needs to be at least one night a week where we spend some "quality" time together. At work that day I brainstormed some possible ideas:
Dollar movie
Miniature golf
Board Games or Wii
Make Banana splits
Bowling
Swimming
Make your own super nachos
Root beer floats
Order take out
Trafalga
Kids make dinner night
Decorate cookies
Build a snowman
Try something you've never tried at a restaurant
2 for 1 milkshakes at Rocky Mountain drive-in
As I said, I was just brainstorming and was definitely open to suggestions. My hope was to create a calender and assign everybody their own week where they got to pick the activity. That night we decided to go out to dinner at La Casita and talk about our future "Family Nights". Holy crap, you'd think we were dragging the kids to the slaughter house. Taking the kids to dinner but calling it something else is not a good idea. Spencer pointed out that there were no other 15 year olds there with their parents and Monika complained that she had come home from her friends house early but we didn't leave for 30 minutes. After dinner we went home and I had the intention of playing a game, watching a movie or using the Wii. Both of the kids disappeared to their rooms the minute we walked through the door, saying that "We already had our fun, and it wasn't even that fun!". I eventually got them out to the living room where nobody could agree on something to do and we ended up in a discussion about why "Family Night" was so stupid and how nobody wants to spend time with me. After accomplishing nothing more than an hour of discussions, the kids went to bed, and Brett thought the idea of "Family Night" was over. He asked me if I really want to try that again and my response was "Yes". Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment or maybe I'm just not willing to give up that easy but either way I know that it is normal for kids to fight against change and hold on to the existing routine even if it's a bad one. This Wednesday is my birthday so we will be doing "Family Night" again if they like it or not.

7 comments:

The Staheli's said...

I wish you all the luck in the endeavour. And I have to say...As a 13/15 year old I wasn't a huge fan of spending time with my parents/family either. But it never killed me. :D If anything...it will just be a good reminder that you want to spend time with them.
Hope your birthday and family night are awesome!

Amy said...

When does that change actually occur that they don't want to spend time with you? I am always telling my 10 & 8 year old to go find something to do other than follow me around the house. So I guess I should take advantage of the fact that they want to hang out with me :) Keep it up! I think it's a great idea! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Austin Family said...

You are brave and responsible and loving and I am glad to hear you are not giving up. I love the idea of family night and I hope things go well for you Wednesday, especially since it is your birthday. Happy Birthday my friend!

Allison said...

I think it's an awesome idea to let everyone have a turn in deciding what you do each week, and it gives the kids a chance to get everyone to do something that they want to, at least once a month. You should surprise them one night with "okay for family night i think everyone should go to their rooms and not come out until tomorrow morning". Once they're told they have to stay there, they'll probably not want to.

Anonymous said...

way to go Rachelle. So many families only think about it and never act on their ideas. Don't give up. your kids will appreciate it someday!! My Dad always said family home evening was the only family war then began and ended in prayer and that was worth it.

White said...

I know it is a little late but I just read it. I hope you are still doing it. Love you Em

abo-bder said...

فني تركيب ستلايت بالرياض
فني تركيب دش بالرياض
فني تركيب دش